Sunday 10 July 2016

Gabriola Sunrise

A concert of geese
Skim the water pre-dawn
Like a bad violinist,
The marina squeaks
And groans its own song
Crows and chirping birds blend in
A motor hums near the distant fog
Though tired, I rise
To see the sun light the sea
I wait nestled in a blanket
While my husband of 2 1/2 days
Slices and feeds me an apple
The water is calm, reflective
A seagull roosts atop a pylon
And performs his rooster impression
For the sailors' wake-up call
The clouds begin to blush
The water ripples copper
In a fluid native-like psychedelic dance
A crow interjects his placement here
Clouds turn from pink to golden
The geese return to rouse latecomers
To witness this moving painting
The flock floats in a buffet line
Purple goldfish shape-shift
Beneath the surface of the water
The blue expanse expands
As clouds dissolve in the sun's approach
A twin engine heads to the east
While we wait here
As the sun spreads
Through the mantle
Of mottled ghostly clouds
That momentarily rest above
The evergreens
They slowly slide out of the vista
As the sun begins to burst and blaze
In blinding radiance
We share this moment
In sunlit faces
Preserved in photographs and poetry
The sun is in full body
Pouring itself into the glass of sea
We drink in this robust view
As the neighbouring sailboat departs
To display the port side
Of another moored vessel
It becomes a silent movie screen
Of light and shadow
As Aurora rises
I almost descend below before
Spying a spider web-
A copper coil of stunning design
Shimmering prisms
Of fragility and strength

Feeling fragile,
I return to my bunk
And seek strength for the day ahead
The sun is hidden by clouds
When I finally stir
My cup of tea
My reflection shimmers, calm
---
July 22, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment